Feb 15, 2022 | CHASENBOSCOLO

car accident reportFew things are more unnerving than being in a traffic accident. Sadly, the statistics for fatalities and injuries in the U.S. are staggering. In 2019, 39,000-plus people died in traffic accidents, while more than four million individuals sustained injuries requiring medical care. If you are involved in a traffic accident, your welfare, and that of your passengers, is of the utmost importance. If you are physically able, call 911 to report the accident. Often, that call will summon a member of your municipal or state police force, as well as notify medical personnel to come to the scene.

The investigating officer will inspect the scene and write a detailed accident report. But whether the accident was due to someone else’s negligence or not, obtaining a copy of the official accident report will be beneficial to your claim or case. You have to file a request with the state, or, in some cases, the city in which the accident occurred, in order to get your own copy.

What Kind of Information Should I Gather?

While you are still at the scene of the accident, try to document what happened. Write down as much information as you can because this may serve to support the evidence you and your lawyer will gather about what actually transpired. It may enable you to dispute any facts that you believe were incorrectly recorded in the official accident report.

  • Write down the name, address, registration, insurance information, and license number of the other driver or drivers. If a driver does not own the car involved, try to get the owner’s name and information as well.
  • Write down the year, model, and make of all of the vehicles involved.
  • Get the investigating officer’s name and badge Inquire how to get a copy of the report.
  • Photograph the vehicles, especially the points of contact, and each car’s position relative to the roadway.
  • List the time and date of the accident, as well as any weather and/or road conditions that may have contributed to the collision. Photograph any road defects and inconsistencies on nearby signs.
  • Note the exact location of your accident, and take photos of street signs or landmarks nearby.
  • Get the names and contact information from any witnesses at the scene.

How Do I Request an Accident Report?

Each state and some large municipalities have a procedure for requesting a copy of the official accident report. Here are the details for doing so in:


There are three ways to request an official accident report:

  • Go to the Maryland State Police Barrack where the report was filed at least ten days after the accident occurred. There is a four dollar document search fee that is not refundable. Call the barrack before you go to check on the availability of the report.
  • A second way is to access the Maryland Central Records Division website, download a copy of the request form, print it, and fill it out with the requested information. Mail it with a four dollar check to the address provided on the form.
  • You may also get a copy of the report when it is available by visiting the Maryland Central Records Division from Monday through Friday from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm, except on holidays. The address is 1711 Belmont Ave., Baltimore, MD; telephone: 410 281-2700.

If you wish to obtain your document faster, click the link on the web page for the Maryland State Central Records Division website and fill out the form online. Your copy will be mailed directly to the Maryland Central Records Division in Baltimore. The four dollar fee is required.

If your accident occurred in the City of Baltimore, call the Central Records Division Baltimore Police Department at (410) 396-2234 or (410) 396-2222, or visit their website and submit a request online.


There are two ways to get a copy of the official accident report:

  • Access form CRD 93 online, fill it out, and mail it along with a check or money order for eight dollars payable to the DMV: Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, P.O. Box 27412, Richmond, VA 23269-0001.
  • Visit the DMV at the above address. Fill out the form and submit it there, along with your payment.

Washington, D.C.

There are two ways to request an Accident Report (PD-10) (There is no fee for requests from the party involved in the accident or their attorney):

  • Email: To request a PD-10 via email. Submit your email request to the Metropolitan Police Department Public Documents Section.
  • Mail-In: Mail your request and include a stamped, self-addressed envelope to Metropolitan Police Department
    Public Documents Section
    ATTN: Accident/Incident Reports
    300 Indiana Avenue NW, Room 3075
    Washington, DC 20001
  • To make an in-person request, call the Metropolitan Police Department: 202-671-6705 and visit the address listed above.

Include the following information with your request:

  • Your full name
  • The accident date, time, and location
  • The six-digit report number (from investigating officer)
  • A copy of a valid government photo ID
  • A copy of the completed PD Form 10B

Contact the Personal Injury Attorneys of CHASENBOSCOLO Today

If you or someone in your vehicle has been seriously injured, contact our personal injury lawyers at CHASENBOSCOLO first, not the insurance company. Insurers will offer you as little as possible to settle your claim quickly. Our legal team has successfully challenged insurance companies in court hundreds of times in the past few years alone. We fight hard to win our clients the compensation they deserve.

Our consultation is free, and you will have no upfront costs to worry about because we get paid only when you do. Call (301) 220-0050, email us, or video chat with us today.