If you have been injured in a truck accident because of another person’s carelessness, you should not be left to deal with your situation alone. The damage caused by a truck accident is often profound, leaving victims with life-changing injuries, exorbitant medical bills, lost wages, and the prospect of long or short-term disability. If you have suffered because of a truck accident in Washington D.C., the best way to recover what you’ve lost is by contacting a skilled injury attorney.
The Washington D.C. trial lawyers at CHASENBOSCOLO have decades of experience fighting for the rights of injury victims and their families. We have won millions of dollars for clients whose lives have been upended by another person’s carelessness. We put our extensive legal knowledge to work for injury victims because we know the positive difference that a favorable settlement or verdict can make. Finding the right lawyer can be a process. Our experienced team is committed to providing compassionate, high-quality representation so that you can move forward after an injury has put your life on hold. To schedule a free consultation, call (301) 220-0050 today.
Do I Need a Truck Accident Lawyer?
If the careless actions of a truck driver, their employer, or a third party have contributed to your injuries, you may be able to hold them legally accountable for the damage you have experienced. While you have the option to file independently, hiring an experienced lawyer can be hugely beneficial to your case. A skilled truck accident attorney understands that there may be numerous sources of compensation in a trucking accident, not just the driver. By pursuing all at-fault parties, your attorney can recover the maximum amount of compensation for you.
To further bolster the strength of your case, an injury attorney will investigate the collision by obtaining accident reports, interviewing witnesses, and obtaining any available surveillance. In addition to investigating the circumstances surrounding your accident, a lawyer will look into all of the accident-related expenses that you have incurred, the wages you have lost, and future expenses related to your injuries.
By taking stock of your expenses, an injury attorney will gain a more comprehensive understanding of the compensation that you are owed by the at-fault parties. You deserve support at this time, and the legal guidance of an attorney will not only provide you with much-needed peace of mind, but also help you recover what your injuries have cost you.
Why Hire CHASENBOSCOLO to Handle My Case?
The lawyers at CHASENBOSCOLO do not compromise when it comes to results, service, and your rights. We have established our firm on the values of helping people when they need it most. Though we have won hundreds of millions of dollars in favorable outcomes for our clients, we are most proud of the ways in which our clients have been able to move on with their lives because of positive settlements or verdicts.
It is important to us that you are able to get the help you need when you need it. Serious accidents and the resulting injuries often put families in compromised financial situations. At CHASENBOSCOLO, we are proud to not only offer free consultations, but also a No Fee Guarantee®. We work on a contingency basis which means that unless we are able to recover compensation for you, you do not owe us a dime for our services.
Washington D.C. Truck Accident Cases We Handle
If you have been injured in a truck accident, you face numerous obstacles. In addition to serious physical injuries, property damage, and medical costs, you may be up against lost wages and a loss of enjoyment of life. When your injuries have been caused by the careless actions of a truck driver, you need an experienced Washington D.C. lawyer fighting on your behalf. While collisions can happen for a variety of reasons, the following are commonly reported reasons for truck collisions:
- Driver Fatigue – The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration imposes rules on the trucking industry limiting the period of time that drivers can be on the road without stopping for rest. Unfortunately, many employers pressure drivers to work long hours without stopping in spite of this, leading to fatigue-related collisions.
- Intoxication – According to a 2007 study released by the FMCSA, 26% of collisions were caused by commercial drivers under the influence of illicit, prescription, and over-the-counter drugs. Unfortunately, in some instances, driver intoxication is the result of unintentional over-the-counter drug interactions.
- Speeding – Commercial trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, so every additional mile per hour increases the force of impact during collisions. So, while ten miles over the speed limit is dangerous in any vehicle, because of a truck’s mass, additional speed is exponentially more dangerous.
- Unfamiliar with Roads – Many long-haul truckers travel through areas that they haven’t had much exposure to previously. This unfamiliarity with factors such as landscape, changing speed limits, etc. can lead to collisions.
- Distracted Driving – Truck drivers are just as vulnerable to distractions as others, but the main difference is the damage that they are capable of causing when their attention wanders. According to an FMCSA study, distracted driving accounts for 8% of truck collisions.
- Failure to Check Blind Spots – In spite of undergoing training to do so, many drivers cause accidents when they fail to perform basic safety precautions like checking blind spots prior to changing lanes.
- Failure to Signal – Because of the potential for serious injury, the stakes are higher when truck drivers make simple mistakes such as not signaling. A portion of truck accidents occurs when truck drivers fail to signal and enter the space that other drivers are occupying.
Driver error and driver behavior are not the only causes of truck accidents. Some serious and fatal collisions are caused by factors outside of the driver’s control. The attorneys at CHASENBOSCOLO are committed to pursuing all channels of compensation when you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a truck accident. Some other causes of a truck accident include:
- Poor Truck Maintenance – If the driver is employed by a long-haul trucking company, the company is almost always responsible for the upkeep of the vehicle. Making sure the truck is not only suitable to drive but also to carry heavy loads, is critical to the safety of all drivers and passengers sharing the road. Important vehicle safety considerations include frequently checking brakes, the tread depth of the tires, headlights, brake lights, and hitch systems.
- Improper Cargo Loading – Making sure that cargo is loaded property into the trailer is a serious safety concern. If the weight is not secured and distributed evenly, then shifting is likely to occur. When cargo shifts, it can throw the balance of the truck off, causing the truck to lose control.
The team at CHASENBOSCOLO will investigate your case to determine all possible causes. We are committed to securing a favorable result for you so that you have the compensation that you need to offset your losses.
Frequently Asked Questions
Making the decision to hire a lawyer is a big step, especially if this is your first time looking for legal representation. We know that you have questions. Read over some of our frequently asked truck accident questions and reach out to us at (301) 220-0050 when you’re ready.
What is the value of my claim?
Each case involves a set of unique factors that impact the value of your injury claim. In order to evaluate how much your injury claim is worth, and how much you can expect to receive in compensation, our lawyers will look at a couple of different factors. The severity of your injuries, how your earning potential has been impacted, the financial losses you have experienced, and projected future losses can all provide important insight into how much the at-fault party is responsible for covering.
Can I file a claim for a deceased family member?
Yes. If your loved one has died from injuries caused by a truck accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim on their behalf. Compensation that you can recover in a wrongful death claim can cover funeral and burial expenses, medical expenses and emergency care received prior to death, lost wages and benefits had the deceased lived until retirement, and other non-economic contributions like companionship, support, and care to loved ones. Washington D.C. does not place a cap on the damages that surviving family members can recover.
What is contributory negligence?
Contributory negligence is a rule applying to civil cases in Washington D.C. which can potentially harm the value of accident victims’ claims. Under contributory negligence, if you as the victim are found to be partially responsible for your injuries, it can completely bar you from collecting much-needed compensation, even if the at-fault party was 95% responsible. For this reason, it is incredibly important that you have an attorney who knows how to defend you against the at-fault party’s insurer or lawyer.
Contact a Washington D.C. Truck Accident Lawyer Today
The impact of a truck accident is devastating, but with the guidance and support of a lawyer, you can fight to offset some of the damages. Though a successful verdict or settlement will not undo the ways in which you’ve already suffered, it can make the path moving forward much smoother. To speak with a Washington D.C. injury lawyer from CHASENBOSCOLO, call (301) 220-0050 today.